The US marijuana market is estimated at $50 billion — substantially smaller than the tobacco industry, but less likely to kill its users with cancer. And with the way legislation is heading, the market should grow at a healthy pace.
Weed users are an underserved market segment and there are many opportunities waiting to be exploited. A new cannabis-focused private equity fund is now receiving investor pitches.
Here are some business ideas that I hope someone invests in.
- Weed chia pets so you can get your kids to grow weed for you
- Genetically modified crops
- Piracetam as a supplement to counteract marijuana-induced mental retardation
- Delivery service for Cheetos, m&m’s, and gummy bears
- Arboretum set up to look like Alice in Wonderland
The audacity of dope — The Economist